The Nunnery Gallery is seeking a team of enthusiastic volunteers to support its diverse range of local, national and international exhibitions and events.
We are currently seeking volunteers for our coming exhibition The Working Artist: The East London Group which runs from 29 September to 17 December 2017.
The exhibition highlights a little-known of group of artists from east London's history, The East London Group, who as ordinary working men and women took the art world by surprise in the 1930s. The paintings tell the story of the changing face of the East End from the '30s to the '50s, immortalising sites gone by as well as showing the history of east London's houses, pubs and streets that are still recognisable today.
Accompanying the exhibition will be a series of new public works of art by artists working in east London today, at Bow Church, on Bow Road and at Queen Mary University of London, highlighting the historic works' significance to a contemporary audience. Read more about the exhibition.
Volunteering with us is an ideal opportunity for students and those wishing to develop a career in the arts, or those local to the area looking to get more involved with their local community and history. Bow Arts volunteers will gain hands on experience with a dynamic and creative arts charity in the arts hub of East London.
Shifts are organised on a rota basis around volunteers’ availability and other commitments. Shifts are available Tuesday – Sunday 9.45am to 5pm (with an hour for lunch), or 6pm – 9pm for events.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Volunteers will have the opportunity to:
• Welcome visitors to ensure they have an enjoyable time at the gallery.
• Develop day-to-day experience of working in a gallery / exhibition space.
• Learn more about exhibitions, with the chance to meet the curators / Gallery Director.
• Interact with visitor / community groups.
• Gain experience in looking after the gallery shop.
• Conduct safety / condition checks of artworks.
We’re looking for people who:
• Have an interest in the arts.
• Would like to meet new people and develop skills in interacting with the public.
• Are friendly and reliable.
• Are ideally able to take on at least one shift a week during the exhibition period (schedule depending, fewer shifts may be available).
In return Bow Arts can offer:
• Hands on experience of working for an established arts organisation in the heart of East London.
• Build confidence interacting with visitors.
• Professional training from the gallery team at Bow Arts.
• Reimburse travel and food expenses.
If you are interested, or for more information, please send a short cover email (and CV if appropriate) to email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!
Bow Arts states that this volunteering opportunity is exempt from the national minimum wage.